bremenports renovates scheduled monument and city landmark
The renovation work on Simon Loschen lighthouse has been completed and the landmark at the New Harbour in Bremerhaven now shines in new splendour. In September 2021, the navigational aid, which is a scheduled monument, was screened off to enable conservation and paintwork on the steel turret. A period of 6-9 weeks was initially planned for the work.
As the paintwork was stripped, however, it transpired that central structural elements of the turret had sustained massive damage, which meant that extensive steel structural work was necessary. Some of these elements were reconstructed in perfect detail and painstaking manual work. As a result, the renovation work took around 6 months.
In the initial assessment, which was conducted in cooperation with the competent authorities for the preservation of historic buildings and monuments, a restorer stripped down the paint to the very last coat in order to see what colour of paint had been used when the lighthouse was first built. This revealed the original colour scheme of the turret.
In consultation with the preservation authorities and the restorer, it was decided to use this opportunity to return the lighthouse to its original colour scheme, which also brings it into line with the colouring of other navigational aids. The glass panes in the turret were also replaced with safety glass. The federal government supported the project with funding from the national monument preservation programme.
Robert Howe, Managing Director of bremenports, thanked everyone involved for the professional and enjoyable cooperation. “The Simon Loschen lighthouse is an outstanding monument in the city of Bremerhaven. I am delighted that thanks to the joint efforts of everyone involved in the renovation, the lighthouse is now fit for the future.”
The Simon Loschen Lighthouse is almost 40 metres high and is the oldest mainland lighthouse still in service in the German Bight. It was built between 1853 and 1855 in North German Brick Gothic style to plans by Bremen architect Simon Loschen. It went into operation in 1856 and was designated a scheduled monument in 1984.
The leading light, which points down the Weser, was replaced by a different light in 1959. The lighthouse is still in service today as the upper range light which points up the Weser and marks the transition from the Outer to the Lower Weser. The corresponding front light for Bremerhaven is the red-and-white striped lighthouse on the southern pier of the lock.